Learning to play the piano is more than a mere formality.
All facets of piano study, learning piano notes , posture, skill, coordination between head, hand and foot, as well as choosing the type of teaching – are challenging in themselves and require a lot of patience and discipline.
Of course, there are some people who can learn to play the piano faster than others – not everyone brings the same cognitive and musical talents and prerequisites.
At the beginning, many people find it difficult to play the piano and it always takes some time to “get in”.
In order to be able to play the piano independently and fluently and to feel safe on the piano, you need practice. And that requires a lot of motivation, discipline and perseverance. Most importantly, you always have fun playing the piano!
In this article we show you how best to approach the challenge of piano learning .
- Our first tips to learn to play the piano well
- What is the best way to learn to play the piano?
- Is it important to master to play the piano?
- What are the basic chords on the piano?
- What are the best piano methods?
- How to learn scales on the piano?
Our first tips to learn to play the piano well
Before you even hit the first key, it’s important that you get used to the right attitude on the piano.
The attitude of the body
First, it’s important to position yourself in the middle of the piano. The most common landmark is the middle C on which the left hand should rest.
You should also adjust the height so that you are neither too high nor too low.
We have the following tips for the piano beginners among you :
- Your elbows: They should be at the height of the keyboard
- Your arms should be straight and comfortable to reach the keyboard, so that you can play easily and without cramping you
- Use a piano stool! That’s better than a chair anyway. You can adjust the height and quickly reposition yourself in front of the keyboard according to the height of the notes.
- Your back: He has to be straight and you should avoid curvature, because that can cause long-term damage.
- Your hands: The ten fingers must be slightly curved, so that you hit the keys with your fingertip. This gives more power and precision.
- The palms should be raised slightly so that the fingers can fall down from above. This gives you speed, accuracy and a smoother game.
- Your feet must be flat on the ground and parallel to each other. So you feel safer!
If you are just starting with a new piece, then you should play the separate sections separately and slowly, and then put them together at the end.
Normally the bass or the accompaniment is played with the left hand and the melody with the right hand.
Also, learn with which methods you can learn to play the piano quickly .
You should also master and practice the rhythm in the dry without accompanying music!
The best way to learn a piece efficiently is to skip none of the important steps.
Who wants to play a piece at the end of error from the sheet, which needs:
- A brain that can link the sound sequences together
- Skill in the fingers
- A solid technical basis, including, for example, the fingering
- An understanding of the practiced piece and the theory behind it
- A feeling for the music, the “feeling” for the nuances in the game
Gradually you should then increase the pace and finally impress your friends and relatives with a perfectly performed piece.
If you have a private piano teacher, he will train you in a targeted manner so that you gradually release your weak points in the piece.
Playing the piano with small hands?
Some people have small hands. But does that mean that it is impossible for them to learn to play the piano?
This is the same as saying that you have too big fingers to play the guitar or is just too stupid for math.
Nothing more than bad excuses that you should never hear!
The personified counter-evidence is provided by the jazz pianist Michel Petrucciani , who despite his short stature brought it to world renown.
There are also children who shake the most amazing works of Chopin easily from the wrist and certainly have smaller hands than yours!
The size of hands or fingers in no way affect the quality of the piano. Sometimes they can even be beneficial, for example, in ascending scales with semitones (C-Cis-D …).
Well, since you have already taken the right attitude, the question of the nature of the lesson arises .
How best to play piano or learn keyboard ?
What is the best way to learn to play the piano?
Self-taught learning to play the piano by yourself, playing the piano using private classes or at a music school, or learning piano online with appropriate lessons over the Internet …
All of these options can be successful, depending on your budget and experience.
What methods are there, you will learn in our article on the topic: How can I learn to play the piano?
Learning to play the piano as an autodidact
If you do not fancy classical piano lessons, then you should first equip yourself with a range of accessories:
- A textbook for piano beginners
- A theory manual to learn (= music theory, sound theory)
- Some scores for beginners
- Much motivation and willingness to learn
The benefit of learning a method for beginners, if you are self-taught, is that you learn to decipher scores by creating automatisms that produce positive hysteresis effects: what you learn today will endure in the future.
You avoid misguided and unpredictable behavior in your piano playing. And the more you practice, the more accurate your piano playing becomes.
The prerequisites for this:
- Buy exercise books according to your level
- Download grades online
- Watch tutorials on Youtube or Dailymotion
- Visits piano lesson sites on the internet
- Practice using songs that you like. That boosts motivation!
Of course, autodidactic piano learning also has some disadvantages:
- You have no one to look over your shoulder and show you your mistakes
- You can not have your progress checked
- You may get used to wrong techniques
- You will lose motivation sooner if it does not work that way
It is quite possible to learn to play the piano on your own.
However, this method also demands the most from a beginner.
If you want to be sure of a steady and steady progress, you’d better take a private piano teacher.
Learning to play the piano with a teacher
Your private piano teacher will train you, constantly watching you and cheering you on and on.
If you find hurdles, it will help you to overcome them. This helps your progress enormously and makes sense for the rest of life.
A passionate piano teacher will pass on his love for music. The piano lessons work like a transfer of positive “vibes” that increase your motivation.
Especially for beginners, this is recommended – you can find out more here.
There are different possibilities: Private piano teachers (like on Superprof ), music schools, conservatories …
Since you will spend a lot of time with your teacher, at least one hour per week, it is important that you get along well.
Playing the piano is something very intimate. Therefore, you should be on the same wavelength as your teacher.
The piano teacher should therefore suit your personality and your ambitions .
No matter which form of instruction you choose, it is important that you practice regularly.
Sporadic labs are inefficient and it is better to play twenty or thirty minutes a day than just three hours a week.
Is it important to master to play the piano?
Reading exercises Learning is not always fun, we know that. Nevertheless, they have a benefit.
It’s like a language that you have to master and then work equally for all instruments.
Piano for all helps you to read scores like a novel: you will understand the code in order to internalize and memorize the piece.
Piano for all courses are often the basis of piano lessons : A quarter of an hour of grading is often preceded by the actual piano playing.
When and why would you best learn to read piano notes ?
- Learning to read music as a child: Children learn much faster than adults
- Divide the exercises into the entire lesson. Sometimes in the beginning, then in the middle or at the end of the lesson
- Learn how to read notes to help you learn the rhythm
- To distinguish different rhythms
- Knowledge of the tone theory improves the understanding of the music in its entirety
- Know music theory to improve your self-confidence
- If you can read music notes, you can learn other instruments faster
Piano Playing Learning without Piano for all is possible, but you will progress less quickly .
What are the basic chords on the piano?
Once you count the keys on the piano, you get 88, more precisely 52 white and 36 black.
These keys combine chords. You may have wondered what the basic chords are on the piano .
This question is clever, because: Why should you, as a beginner, learn all the piano chords , if you can play most songs with only a few basic chords?
… or even become a composer yourself!
First of all, it is important to note that there are four basic chords on the piano :
- A minor
- C Major
- F major
- G major
So you’ve already done the first universal album as good as done! 😉
There are also numerous tutorials and other online piano lessons (eg, Learning Online ) to learn these chords and then use them for your (own) songs.
What are the best piano methods?
The traditional approach to piano playing is as follows:
- Internalize rhythm
- File at the practical game
- Repeat technical exercises
So you as a beginner can learn to play the piano easily, comprehensively and efficiently .
You learn chords on the piano (read more here), scales, scores, piano notes and the first simple pieces.
The learning process can be quite lengthy and sometimes takes several years.
Of course, if you just want to re-enact a piece that you like, then you do not want to have to take expensive piano lessons.
There are a few simple tricks to follow:
- Look at others who play the play for you.
- Train the rhythm with a simple chord like C major
- Go through each note in your head and then put the piece together
- Let experienced players help you by playing with four hands
A good way to learn piano is by deciphering your hearing.
But you need some theoretical knowledge in tone theory. Then you can try to transfer a song to the keyboard only by listening carefully.
Even if you do not play exactly the same notes as the composer, you will quickly get a feel for the piece and even improvise – even as a beginner!
Of course, it always depends on the style of music that you want to play on the piano.
There are classical, jazz or rock music for the piano. Of course, blues, pop and hits are also possible.
If you want to play jazz on the piano, then you need deeper skills and a broad theoretical background. The way your piano wants to learn to play depends on your ambitions.
Pop songs usually use more familiar chords and melodies than jazz. That may be a bit less valuable musically but also easier to play.
In any case – even if we repeat ourselves here – it is essential to practice regularly and to always uphold the motivation.
If you want to take piano lessons , tell your teacher what pieces you most want to play. He will then assist you with the respective tools.
If you have the right posture, know some chords and have a textbook, then there is nothing standing in the way of your pianist career.
How to learn scales on the piano?
Scales must be practiced steadily in order to really internalize. Only then can you really start playing the piano.
Learn how to best practice scales on the piano .
Quite simply, it starts with the C major scale, which consists only of white keys: C – D – E – F – G – A – H – C and then again from the front and then backwards …
A few minutes a day you should definitely dedicate to these exercises. There are two reasons for this:
- So that the sound of each note burns into your brain
- So that your fingers find their way better on the keyboard
The range of different scales on the piano is very large.
There are, for example
- the C major scale
- the D major scale
- the A major scale
- the F sharp major scale
Of course, there are also minor scales: The natural, harmonic and melodic, rising and falling minor scales.
There is much to discover, so do not wait any longer and start practicing!