How can you extend the life of Lithium-ion batteries, laptop batteries and batteries of a mobile phone?
It is quite expensive to replace the batteries of a cell phone or a laptop, also known as Lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries.
Many people do not realize that poor maintenance and incorrect charging of these Lithium-ion batteries considerably shortens their lifespan.
Proper maintenance of a Lithium-ion battery actually starts immediately with the purchase of a new battery, a mobile phone or a laptop.
In this article I would like to give you some tips to extend the life of your laptop, mobile phone or other electronic devices that use Lithium-ion batteries (such as an electric shaver). You will also find out why a battery fails prematurely and what you can do to prevent this.
How does a lithium-ion battery actually work?
The principle of lithium-ion batteries is based on an interaction between negative and positive electrodes. Based on this principle, lithium-ion batteries should therefore last a lifetime. Nevertheless, factors such as too high temperatures or poor maintenance can make the life of this battery shorter.
How can you guarantee the long service life of lithium-ion batteries?
A few tips:
- With new batteries, it is important to have them fully charged before you use your cell phone, laptop or other electronic devices. This teaches the battery, as it were, how long it has to last.
- A Lithium-ion battery that is used intensively, such as this in a mobile phone or a laptop, it is better to occasionally charge a short period (for 1 or 2 hours) than to charge the battery only when it is almost completely empty .
- Although it is important to occasionally charge a Lithium-ion battery for short periods, it is still advisable to have it fully discharged once a month. This way you keep your battery in optimum condition.
- Do not use your cell phone or laptop if they are charging. This can cause the battery to overheat, which of course will not improve the life of the battery.
- If possible, use a charger with a lower voltage. This may cause the battery to charge a little slower, but this also means that the temperature will not rise too high, which in turn is better for the battery.
- Take care not to leave the device in the sun or in very hot places. The heat can damage the battery.
- If you do not intend to use the device for a while, make sure that the battery is more than 40% charged before you put the device aside. A battery that is completely discharged and not used for a long time will never reach the same level once you use your device again.
If you apply these tips consistently (especially from the moment you purchase the battery, cell phone, laptop or any other electronic device), this will certainly improve the life of the Lithium-ion battery.
What if the battery nevertheless gave up or if you notice that the condition of your battery is deteriorating?
If a battery fails or if it no longer works properly, you can use our battery revision program to learn how to get it fully working again. After all, we will discuss how you can breathe new life into your old cell phone, laptop, car, traction battery, batteries for golf carts, boats, fork lifts and many other batteries.
Overhauling batteries is not at all as difficult as it might seem and you can save a lot of money with it.
Knowing more? Then be sure to check whether our Battery Reconditioning Program is for you!